How to edit pokemon sprites in platinum

Ok not sure if im posting this in the right place but Here it is

Credit to CodeBrain for this one:

First, open up your rom with NDS Top System. Then load your Rom.

Then, go to the browse section, and open the poketool folder. (Look at image Tut-01 in attached.)

Go into the pokegra folder, and right click on pl_pokegra. Click extract and save it somewhere. (Look at images Tut-02 and Tut-03 in Attached.)

Open pl_pokegra in Poke DS/Pic Platinum. Head down to number 1495, and click the SavePng option. Save it in the a folder with any name. Do this with 1497, and 1499 as well (Save them in same folder!) (Look at images Tut-04, Tut-05 and Tut-06 in attached.)

Open them all in Adobe Photoshop. Look at the FRONT sprite. Click on Image, then Mode, and finally on Color Table. (Look at images Tut-07, and Tut-08 in attached.)

Edit the colors as you wish, but only from the COLOR TABLE. In this case, I recolored Lugia into Shadow Lugia. Here is his sprite:

While still in the Color Table menu, click the Save button, and name it something. Look at the back sprite. Click Image, Mode, and finally Color Table. (Look at images Tut-09 and Tut-10 in attached)

Click load, and find your previously saved table. (Last step) Your image SHOULD look the same as this:

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/ShadowFireMario/back.png

If it only looks slightly different, then it shouldnt be a big deal. When I say small, I mean like the eye color is different. Just replace it with the real color thats in the COLOR TABLE ONLY. If it really looks different (aka the purple is orange) then your not using the same palette.

Save both images, doesnt matter if it's interlaced or not (I dont think it does...). Open Pokemon DS/Pic Platinum (In case you closed it) and go to #1495. Replace this image and the next one with the Shadow Lugia back sprite. Replace #'s 1497, 1498, 1499, and 1500 with Shadow Lugia's Front sprite. (Look at images Tut-11, and Tut-12, in attached.)

If done correctly, no palette errors should occur. If there is (Such as a corrupted image or colors arent right, etc.) See the FAQ. Open NDS Top System, go to the Poketool folder, then the pokegra folder. Right click on pl_pokegra.narc, and click import. Find your edited pl_pokegra.narc, and import it in. Load up your game and see if it worked!

I made a shadow lugia sprite :)

Also thanks to SCV for making PokePic Platinum :)

hey is there a way to make your own items then make there own efects (dont know how to spell it right) like you know how the glacidia flower changes shaymin well what about makeing n item to change lugia to shadow lugia like a dark necklice or some thing i tought it would be cool

i did every thing you said but i already had a shadow lugia set up to save in place of the normal one so i didnt have to use Adobe Photoshop (i dont have it my friend does )

but after i do all the saveing and importing i go to my game and check the lugia sprit and it dosent change what can i do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi. im new here, and i apolodise if this sounds incredibly noobish, but I can't seem to find pokepic platinum. Ive tried googling and looking in the rom's tools section. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Skip that. I found it here http://megaupload.com/?d=YRTSK6HS. However, it may be a good idea for someone to put it in the Rom tools sticky thread, just so others don't have to search high and low

• 2 months later...

Okay, I've decided to go ahead and use this. However, whenever I recolour Dialga into Primal Dialga via 'GIMP' with the same 'Color Table' function, when I load it into the DS/PIC Platinum, it says

'PNG has to be 8bpp indexed! This image will probably not work.'

Any idea what is going wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
Correction. Those are MINE.

Those two pictures were posted, by me, on the exact same thread.

back.png

front.png

Edit: Also here is the tutorial with images full: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4926514

Ahahaha, owned.

I have a question. How do I edit the pallete using GIMP? Do I go to colors>map>assign? I've been playing around, I'll tell you guys if I get any useful results.

EDIT: I figured it out! You can go into Dialogs>Colormap and edit the map from there! I am going to be making some cool Color edits ^^

EDIT: Damn. I keep getting this error: "Png has to be 8bpp indexed! This image will probably not work."

I don't understand, I kept it indexed with the same amount of colors... did something happen inbetween that ruined it all?

Edited by epicNeo
Damn.

• 2 weeks later...