View Poll Results: Which one did you choose? Did you base off of this guide?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Piplup: based off of guide

1 2.33%
  • Turtwig: based off of guide

2 4.65%
  • Chimchar: based off of guide

7 16.28%
  • Piplup: not based off of guide

16 37.21%
  • Turtwig: not based off of guide

12 27.91%
  • Chimchar: not based off of guide

13 30.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Starters in Sinnoh: Which one to choose

Re: Starters in Sinnoh: Which one to choose

Good points, I guess I really look at the base types. I didn't even think about the fighting type powers to chimchar's evolutions. I mainly looked at how they basically look. I mean though really does having a fighting side cover any of a normal fire type's weaknesses? same for the addtiotional steel and ground types that are added to the starter's evolved forms? I don't really think so.
    Signature made by me

Giant Robot Team RaterWiki Contributor Enkidu's Avatar

I don't think thats true at all, Chimchar should be 14 when you fight the first gym leader, and mach punch rapes him. In fact with his fire/Fighting dual STAB attacks every gym falls pretty easily, even more so because you can catch a Shinx so early on to cover infernapes inability to kill water types, who after a swords dance are KO'd by close combat even with their resistance anyway. ( TM75 )

Part of the reason why Infernape is such a huge threat in the competitive environment is his diverse movepool, with enough special attack and attack stats to abuse the hell out of it.

What about the intense weakness to water! That is what I think people are missing. Does his fighting type side cover his weakness to water? No! In order for him to beat a water type one, he would have to be faster to get the first hit, two he would have to have a pretty powerful fighting type move, and three it would have to be a higher level or equal level nothing lower. I do not see why people are favoring chimchar because of his evolutions when they get the fighting type side. Thanks for your comments and wise words but really I dont see all the points you are making. I'm still going to back piplup. When piplup evolves and gets the steel side it can make short work of fantina and her ghost types. Plus the first gym, 3rd gym, 6th gym, all fall pretty easily to it. Plus piplup is way cuter then chimchar!
    I've made my point.
    Signature made by me

Selfnote: Pre-order Reach D@t@_G@ll@de#3's Avatar

fire is bad against water type. fighting is bad against psychic type. but do you see a water/psychic pokemon anywhere? exactly why i chose chimchar.there are tons of grass types, ready to whip piplup. thats why i didnt choose piplup.

Chimchar because Infernape is OU tier.

i found going with chimchar was harder then playing with piplup

but! You dont need a psychic side to beat monferno/infernape because fighting doesn't cover the water weakness. Take quagsire, he is water and ground. Having a ground type side covers water's electric type weakness but magnifies the grass weakness. so the fighting type side does not cover up the weakness to water. Plus if you choose piplup it forces you to catch and train a variety of different pokemon in order to accomplish your tasks.

4evil: Thank you so much for backing up piplup. You did mean to back piplup up there correct.
    I wish drifloon was a starter!
    Last edited by pokemonfan; Apr 11th, 2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Signature made by me

Infernape learns Thunderpunch, Earthquake and Close combat 3 Moves that score super effective hits on all of the water-x types except Dragon-water.

Plus if you choose piplup it forces you to catch and train a variety of different pokemon in order to accomplish your tasks.
    What? You have to do that with all of the starters anyway. That isn't even a valid point here.

NOT TO MENTION Infenape is in his own speed tier! He outspeeds all of the base 100 speed pokemon, without a speed boosting nature. And any pokemon, save ninjask/Aerodactyl/Crobat/Jolteon/Weavile and a few legendaries Infernape outspeeds all of them and the other 450 pokemon that are slower.

Angry Re: Starters in Sinnoh: Which one to choose

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Infernape learns Thunderpunch, Earthquake and Close combat 3 Moves that score super effective hits on all of the water-x types except Dragon-water.

What? You have to do that with all of the starters anyway. That isn't even a valid point here.

NOT TO MENTION Infenape is in his own speed tier! He outspeeds all of the base 100 speed pokemon, without a speed boosting nature. And any pokemon, save ninjask/Aerodactyl/Crobat/Jolteon/Weavile and a few legendaries Infernape outspeeds all of them and the other 450 pokemon that are slower.
    What do you mean? People have all been saying that "Infernape/monferno/chimchar just KOs the gyms real easy. So I assumed that they meant that the pokemon they needed to train were a lot less then piplup. I mean needed too.

If you choose chimchar, you are just being lazy for all of the gyms.
    If you use pokesav, you are just being smart for the rest of the game.

What! You know not all people approve of pokesav's ways!
    Signature made by me

I do know that.
    And I never said people had to approve.
    I just said that people who use it are just taking easy street.

Quote Originally Posted by damio View Post
    If you choose chimchar, you are just being lazy for all of the gyms.
    If you use pokesav, you are just being smart for the rest of the game.
    If by lazy, you mean he's the best starter to pick as it makes the game easier for you ( assuming you know how to use infernape ) then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    If by lazy, you mean he's the best starter to pick as it makes the game easier for you ( assuming you know how to use infernape ) then yes.
    That is what i implied, yes..

Lol, Piplup sucks.
    You keep talking about how Infernape's Fighting Type doesn't cover it's water weakness, but you have to think of it the same way as well.
    Empoleon's steel-type doesn't prove helpful to Empoleon at all either. It gives it in additional weakness to Fighting-type attacks, and also removes it's resistance to Fire-type attacks.

And this wasn't mentioned, but the Fighting subtype's weakness to Psychic types is also easily covered by the fact that Infernape can learn U-Turn via TM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast