Well there are a total of eight gyms and each of the gym leaders specializes in a different type pokemon here is the list.
- Gym one in oreburgh ground and rock types
- Gym 2 in eterna city grass types
- gym 3 a big change from D/P to PT hearthome ghost type (usually this gym is closer to the end)
- gym 4 in veilstone a figthing type
- gym 5 pastoria a water type
- gym 6 canalave?? Not sure
- gym 7 snowpoint ice type
- gym 8 sunnyshore electric types
Ok, each gym has their own weaknesses and some of them are obvious.
The first gym is really weak against water types so piplup is looking really good right now. Oh, but then look at the next gym piplup is at a disadvantage against grass type now chimchar is looking good. Then we got the ghost type gym I'm not to sure on that one my prayers lied with my caught rotom there. We got veilstone that is weak against ghost, flying, psychic and a few more. Pastoria, well work with electric pokemon for there but I know that he might have a powerful quagsire which is water and ground so that is a magnified weakness against grass ooh turtwig is looking pretty good right now. Skipping canalave, snowpoint pretty obvious ice types chimchar looking pretty sweet. Then we have sunnyshore with electric I believe that turtwig is in the spotlight again. So which one to choose well keep reading.
- first gym: good
- second gym: bad
- 3rd gym: so so
- 4th: so so
- 5th gym: not really
- 6th: unsure
- 7th uh not really
- 8th: are you kidding me pull that penguin back no way!
- first gym: good against ground types
- second gym: so so
- 3rd gym: depends
- 4th gym: uh not so much
- 5th gym: oh grass grass and more grass
- 6th unsure
- 7th: um I dont really think so
- 8th: yeas pretty good ground would be better so torterra would be nice
- 1st gym: um not really
- Second gym: you could burn it to the ground
- 3rd gym: some what
- 4th gym: totally lucario will fall before you!
- 5th gym: only if you are insane
- 6th gym: not sure
- 7th gym: melt melt melt!
- 8th gym: not really positive on that one maybe so so
Now for why I choose piplup all the time:
Rocks against the first gym
You can catch a fire type (ponyta) and a flying type (starly) to handle that grass types
Ghosts dont need to scare you when you have a rotom and a evolved piplup with steel moves
um once again you can catch the right pokemon to handle mayleen
There are good grass types available to handle crasher wake.
6th gym not sure
Time to bring back ponyta for those ice types
8th gym: fly back to oreburgh or go to iron island catch ground pokemon
The elite four is where you bring the best products of fighting at those gyms. That is why I choose piplup. However, now I'm looking at turtwig and thinking, maybe I chose wrong.