Burmy evolution acting strange

iwabo

Hello fellow trainers :wink:

I got some problem with my Burmy and it's evolutions in Pokemon Diamond edition. I wasn't really sure where to post it but as it's somehow related to a PKM file I guess it should be correct here.

At one point in the game, I put honey on a tree and caught a MALE Burmy. As it's evolution depends on gender, at one point I decided to "clone" it by extracting the PKM file of it using Pokesav and importing it again in a different spot. Then I changed it's gender to FEMALE so I can get both evolutions rather quickly. So now I had my original male and the "cloned" female Pokemon.

Now here is the strange thing: The female Burmy evolved into the female evolution just as expected. However, when I levelled up the MALE Burmy it showed the female sign in the little stat update window. However in my party it still displayed as male and also Pokesav told me it's male. Then when it reached level 20 however it STILL evolved to the FEMALE version and not the MALE version as it should.

It confuses me for two reasons. Not only, that apparently the Burmy seemed to be some kind of transvestite. The thing is, that it originally was a MALE Pokemon and now seems to prefer being female for some reason. :rolleyes:

Anyways, did I miss something? Why does it keep on evolving to the female version even though it's male? I tried various PIDs and it always becomes the female evolution. :frown:

I'm only responding because

apparently the Burmy seemed to be some kind of transvestite

made me laugh.

The PID controls gender. (At least as far as evolution is concerned.) Pokesav has no option for this, unless I missed it. (Which is certainly possible, given that the layout has no logic applied to it whatsoever.) So... use the superior program and do what you want easily.

Glad I made you laugh. :wink:

Yes PID controls gender, personality and whether it's shiny or not. Pokesav DOES have an option for that. Actually it has more than PokeGen because it lets you decide whether you want it to be type 1 or 2. I actually prefer Pokesav because in my opinion it has a better layout and isn't so super tiny. I feel like I can do more stuff in Pokesav. But it's just a question of personal preference in the end I guess.

Anyways, Pokegen doesn't fix the problem at all. It showed Burmy as male. Just to be sure I let it create another shiny PID for a male Burmy and saved. However it will still evolve to the female Pokemon and not the male Pokemon.

Wanting to use Pokesav is nothing but stubbornness, laziness, or both. There really is no reason to use it for editing Pokemon. It has NOTHING that PokeGen doesn't, and has less, actually. (Btw, this is for your claim of the lack of "type" 1 or 2.)

I                              guess
this                                                             is
                easier                                                                 to
                              read                          than                                                            an
intelligently formed                      sentence                   too
right?

No. Its layout is not better by any definition.

As for the actual problem, I honestly don't know, without looking it up, how Burmy works for sure. So I can't really say what's going on if it's not a PID issue. (Assuming you correctly dealt with that.)

Wanting to use Pokesav is nothing but stubbornness, laziness, or both.

Why so harsh about the opinion of others? Just accept to disagree with others. :tongue:

No. Its layout is not better by any definition.

I said "in my opinion". Not that it has to be like that for everyone. Besides that, I don't see it as bad as in your codebox. :wink:

Anyways, yeah it's really just supposed to be gender only and not some strange other value that you have to calculate like in the case of Wurmple. I work around with PIDs quite often so I doubt I made mistakes. Especially because I did it a million times before already.

Why so harsh about the opinion of others? Just accept to disagree with others.

What I said is true. People are the same way with upgrades of software ALL THE TIME. They don't want to take the minimal amount of time it takes to learn to use something new, or they have some arrogant idea that what they're using is somehow superior despite everything saying otherwise.

Besides that, I don't see it as bad as in your codebox.

That explains everything.

I work around with PIDs quite often so I doubt I made mistakes. Especially because I did it a million times before already.

I couldn't help myself. I had a feeling that I knew what was going on, and I was right. Your pointless devotion to Failsav is your problem. Pokemon data has a bit that indicates gender, along with the PID. Why it's like that, I couldn't tell you. After testing with, you know, the superior program, I determined that Failsav doesn't set this bit properly based on the PID you provide. Your PID may have been saying male, but the bit said female, and apparently the game uses that bit to determine how the Pokemon evolves, not the PID. PokeGen doesn't fail in this way, so if you want properly-generated Pokemon, use it and stop being stubborn/lazy.

Okay look:

I might be a bit lazy and not wanting to try to "learn" how Pokegen works exactly. But that is simply because Pokesav always worked well for me. Yes I missed the PID finder at first. But after you kindly made it clear to me I found it. Pokegen does NOT fix the error. So much for being a superior program. I know you might think it's the user who just still doesn't know how to use it properly. But trust me, I made no error with Pokegen. It's so detailed and clear it's impossible to make any mistakes with it. It's simply superior to anything else ever coded.

By the way...you were the one who started talking about your program being superior. Understandable, you being the coder of it. However, accusing me of thinking I'm superior because of it or anything is completely stupid. I might be German but that doesn't mean I'm automatically thinking some things or people or superior towards others. That was 70 years ago.

But I'm not here to get talked down upon from you. Who knows maybe I'll overlook how "nicely" you treated me. If you wonder, you treated me in a way I'd expect it from a 13 year old in puberty, not a grown up 25 year old. But some people seem to like to carry out their personal problems to the internet. But to come back to the point: Maybe I'll learn how to use Pokegen properly in future. But please do me the favor and make the interface a bit bigger. It's so small, that for example the translations get cut off and it's not possible to read them properly. Even if someone doesn't have a 1080p screen like me it could fill out the space of the screen a bit more to be more "clear":

21ki63p.jpg

So in future maybe you can be a bit nicer. Hopefully you at some point will learn to accept opinions of others. Even if by all logical sense they make no sense to you (like in this case). People with attitude like you are one of the reasons there are so many wars in the world.

Before typing this I thought about actually not coming back because of how "nicely" people get treated in this place. Not saying I'd be a big loss. Just saying that it doesn't give a nice image of how people get treated in this community.

So unless someone can provide detailed information why this doesn't seem to be fixable by either Pokesav or Pokegen I declare this "unsolvable".

Wow...I can't believe I actually wasted minutes of my life on this.

Edited by iwabo
Just a few words here and there

But that is simply because Pokesav always worked well for me.

Obviously not, it's not doing what you're wanting.

Pokegen does NOT fix the error.
I know you might think it's the user who just still doesn't know how to use it properly. But trust me, I made no error with Pokegen.

My tests say otherwise. I'd be interested in seeing exactly what steps you took from opening the program to produce the "incorrect" result.

It's so detailed and clear it's impossible to make any mistakes with it. It's simply superior to anything else ever coded.

Since you're intent on being offended by my claims, let me explain something for you. They don't come from arrogance. They come from comparisons. Even setting the layout of the two aside, PokeGen does everything properly and has things that Pokesav lacks. (Speaking strictly from a Pokemon-editing point of view, as I always have on this topic.)

I might be German but that doesn't mean I'm automatically thinking some things or people or superior towards others. That was 70 years ago.

All I can say here is "wow, wtf".

If you wonder, you treated me in a way I'd expect it from a 13 year old in puberty, not a grown up 25 year old. But some people seem to like to carry out their personal problems to the internet.

Or perhaps the way someone who has to constantly deal with people not helping themselves with the slightest bit of common sense. This includes lazy/stubborn people.

But please do me the favor and make the interface a bit bigger. It's so small, that for example the translations get cut off and it's not possible to read them properly. Even if someone doesn't have a 1080p screen like me it could fill out the space of the screen a bit more to be more "clear"

This has (mostly) nothing to do with the size of the dialog. I'll put it simply and say that dynamically sizing the controls to allow for text of varying widths from different languages to fit isn't the easiest task ever.

Also, let me point out that this is already documented, had you bothered to look.

So in future maybe you can be a bit nicer. Hopefully you at some point will learn to accept opinions of others. Even if by all logical sense they make no sense to you (like in this case). People with attitude like you are one of the reasons there are so many wars in the world.

I do accept opinions of others. However, there are times when people aren't even considering alternatives. This happens often. I can't even respond to the attitude comment because it's so ridiculous.

Before typing this I thought about actually not coming back because of how "nicely" people get treated in this place.

How many of these people have taken the time to figure something out for themselves before posting? Very, very few. Nobody here is obligated to treat them well at all, and certainly not for trying to use someone else's time to save their own.