How to edit Item Locations?

Bump.

Say I wanted to replace the Great Ball found in the watery area of Striaton City with HM01. How would I go about doing that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to figure it out.

EDIT2: On second thought, maybe I don't. I just tested it but it didn't work. I tried to turn either the Greatball on Route 2 or the Great Ball in Striaton City (on the ground) and neither of them worked. Is there any way to tell exactly which Great Ball I'm editing?

Edited by pkmntrainerBW

EDIT2: On second thought, maybe I don't. I just tested it but it didn't work. I tried to turn either the Greatball on Route 2 or the Great Ball in Striaton City (on the ground) and neither of them worked. Is there any way to tell exactly which Great Ball I'm editing?

You can't tell -- however, all items in for example Striaton City have their hex codes close to each other, so just check if the hex data around the Great Ball matches the other items that can be found in Striaton.

Ah, Okay. Thanks, I would've assumed that the items were organized relatively in the order you found them in, but I guess that's not the case. Apparently those first two Great Balls in the hex are located elsewhere in the game. Sincerely thank you. I'm playing your hack btw.

Well it looks like you found out already, but I'll c/p what I told Oxnite a while back;

"You'll need the a/0/5/7 narc file - the script one to be specific.

Items come in two different codes:

2A 00 00 80 XX XX: This one is for items given to you by an NPC, where XX XX is the index number of the item in hex, reversed.

28 00 0C 80 XX XX: This is for items you find on the ground, where XX XX is... you get the picture.

Just do a bit of Ctrl+F in a057 and you can usually locate them fine, using http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_items_by_index_number_(Generation_V) to get the numbers of the items

Of course it's a bit trickier when you're dealing with items which are found several times; for stuff like TMs it's easy since they're only given once, but editing things like evolution stones, or even worse Potions, Poke Balls and the like is harder.

You can always test ingame, of course, but it's easier to find the correct bit initially if you use a bit more Ctrl+F. Items in the same area will be very close to eachother in the script, so if you can find another item in the Route close by then you've likely hit the mark. Remember to check both up and down, though."

• 7 months later...

Would anyone know about being able to move these items on the map, so you can hide it in a corner or something?

Also, where the data is for when you buy stuff from the PokeMart? Particularly, what the initial string is that indicates an item, like how there's 2A000080XXXX and 28000C80XX mentioned above by Drayano.

Because I don't know what string I'm looking for, when I search for an item like TM15 - Hyper Beam, I'm finding a bunch of irrelevant bytes that don't involve the sale of the TM.

• 2 weeks later...
Would anyone know about being able to move these items on the map, so you can hide it in a corner or something?

The Poké Balls you find on the map are overworlds, just like Trainers are. So by using Drayano's information over here, it will be quite easy to move them around. I'm not very sure how to edit hidden items, though.

Also, where the data is for when you buy stuff from the PokeMart? Particularly, what the initial string is that indicates an item, like how there's 2A000080XXXX and 28000C80XX mentioned above by Drayano.

Because I don't know what string I'm looking for, when I search for an item like TM15 - Hyper Beam, I'm finding a bunch of irrelevant bytes that don't involve the sale of the TM.

I'll have to look into this.

I think when I was looking before I found the mart data in one of the overlay files, although at the time it was compressed so it was hard to be sure. I didn't know it was compressed at the time either so I kind of gave up. :x

I think searching for a couple of the TMs in hex might yield the correct file (might be TM21 and TM27 corresponding to Nimbasa's mart).

(To clarify, it's just the item numbers one after the other in the usual reversed hex thingy, there's no prefix afaik)