Future Generation Themes

Klaatu

The first generation was... well the original generation.

The second was:

-an expansion of the first

-PURE

(I mean how alot of the new Pokemon had a softer/cuter tone. Also applying to other details than jsut the designs, like creating actual grass pokemon which are not part POISON. All the pre-evolutions aka babies. The starters being pure types through all 3 stages and so on)

The third can be described with:

-fresh new start

-EXOTIC (all possible locations ranging from volcano over desert, islands, to a city on trees... more rarer type pokemon like dragons, ghosts, dark (and more cool combinations)...)

The theme of the 4th generation was openly mentioned in interviews by official people:

-ULTIMATE

(extremely powerful legendaries, and alot of em... alot of strong evolutions to older pokes, very big region, almost all pokemon available one way or another etc.)

SO

what could be the theme GF is going to use for future generations?

My ideas:

-BALANCE

this would mean very few new water and normal pokemon for example, some highly needed evolutions instead of just the cool ones (so farfetch'd, luvdisc etc), gyms using types which arent in every region (theres no dark gym yet, but 4 fight, 3 electric, 3 water 3 rock...) new pokemon with rare competitive abilities, improving alot of older pokes movesets to make them useful...

=O?

What about ECCENTRIC?

- Weird Pokemon combos, such as Fire/Grass, Fighting/Flying, etc...

- Weird Pokemon evolutions... hey, that Remora evolved into an Octopus, so what new plans will those monkeys from Gamefreak roll out with next?

- Towns with weird features, like teleporter lamp posts or something...

- Weird Pokemon abilities

- Weird Pokemon species (maybe something based off musical instruments... AHHH! I DEFINITELY want those! I am a MUSIC FREAK :D)

- World map going around in a circle or something...

- Main characters with weird costumes (actually I'd freak out if that happened)

- The Professor is a hippie (um, no, scratch that, that would be so messed up)

- New moves that do weird stuff... we have Trick Room... maybe something else like attack/defense correlation inverses or something (as in low attack does more damage to higher defense Pokes)...

This is DEFINITELY going to be an Alice in Wonderland spinoff :P

Edited by wraith89

I'm honestly really curious about this. Where the hell is game freak going to take pokemon for a fifth generation? We've gotten to the point where we have pokemon that are literally creationist gods, capable of altering reality itself -- and you can catch them in a little ball and have them fight for you! It's hilarious! Where can you go after this? What could be grander than the Dragon trio, Arceus and the creation myths of Sinnoh?

The only thing I can think of that seems halfway interesting is to do what Klaatu said and try balancing out the existing game by trying out some new type combos, giving more physical/special moves to types that need them, expanding the possible abilities a pokemon can have, and generally trying to level the playing field so that there are less "bad" pokemon and types. Story wise, they could try balancing out the heavy mythological stuff from Sinnoh and the god complex/sociopathic power trip of Cyrus and Team Galactic with something a little lighter and more laid back, maybe some good old fashioned Rocket-style thievery? Or hell, if you want to keep it fresh, let's delve into the forces at work behind the creation of artificial pokemon like Mewtwo. I'd love it if the next "team" to appear were a group of mad scientists and you had to battle their new, synthetic pokemon before being able to capture them for yourself. Man, game freak should totally give me a job. :bidoof:

As for gameplay, if we're talking about a next-gen handheld after the DS, the obvious thing to do is to give us fully animated 3D battles already for chrissakes. They could have conceivably done this with DPP and instead chose only a modest graphical upgrade over the advance games. There isn't much ground left to break in the world of Pokemon, and this is one of the few things left that they could do to make Generation V into something more exciting than "just another hundred or so pokemon in a new region"

As much as I love these games, the same old shtick is getting old and they're going to have to introduce something revolutionary with the next generation if they want to give the franchise a future beyond that.

Arceus and Darkrai are both still availible to be captured though, aren't they? I mean, Newmoon Isle still has Darkrai on it, and Arceus is still in the Hall of Origin (at least for us Americans). So what if we don't get to them first? What if they are captured by, say, Cipher? What's more powerful than Arceus, the lord of Pokemon? Shadow Arceus. :) I'd really like to see Shadow Pokemon show up in the handheld games. And, once Arceus is turned into a Shadow Pokemon, who knows what the villains will be able to accomplish?

Another idea (but not that great) could be a region with almost no new common pokemon but alot of new special pokemon, like unown, castform, lapras, snorlax, fossils, feebas, ditto, smeargle.... but nah... sounded better 3mins ago xD

By the way I don't think there is a problem in making new legendaries. One just has to consider that for example Palkia didn't create space, nor a region... it's just rare and capable of altering space a bit. Otherwise every region would worship the most godly legendary. But they all just talk about their native legendaries and made up stories about how those created their region xD

And it's not like there are no more special abilities for legendaries left.

Right now I can think of: Temperature (somethin to do with seasons also?), Gravity, Light...

Or a legend duo representing day and night... surely there's plenty of stuff I didn't think of...

And considering there are still types of which there are no legendaries yet, like bug, fighting or poison..

bug trio ftw?

I half agree with wraith89. More eccentric type combinations would be nice. Also, the starters need to be balanced, enhanced, and OU if possible (I've noticed, some starters are preferred over others).

Eccentric characters.... Personality wise, yes, Visual Wise, not really. Palmer was a great example of Eccentric, as well as the Arcade lady =D

I would like to see cross overs, like how previous versioned characters would appear in story.

As for the Pokémon, I would like to see more base, less exotic Pokémon. More creativity, but less exotic-ness.

Oh and legends are easily put down, as there is region barrier for these legends, i.e. Mew is not known in the Sinnoh region, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so what about....

Maybe some more weather and battle altering legendaries such as maybe...

Seidon a water type pokemon that looked a lot like a giant seamonster so maybe a water and dragon? Its ability would be downpour which would summon rain that would be 2 times harder then that of rain dance or drizzle so water type power would be enhanced.

Name? Because of the greek god of the sea that is known as Poseidon.

Aufrason- a fire type pokemon that looked like a giant fire dragon with fierce flaming wings. Its ability would be something like drought except with double the power.

Name? Because of the egyptian god Ra or Auf the god of the sun.

Balthoris- an electric type pokemon that looked like a lightning bolt. It would have the ability electric circuit. This ability would power up his electric attacks every time he was hit by an electric attack and it wouldn't do damage to him unless he was paralyzed.

Name? Because of the egyptian god Baal the god of thunder and because of Thor, yet another thunder deity.

Cerebision- a ghost and dark type pokemon with the ability tenacity. If you faint it with a physical attack then the pokemon that fainted it die too.

It would be based off of the roman guard dog of the underworld

That's all I got.

Baal is SO not an Egyptian god. :-/

You read the Bible, you should know.

More deities for legends? I don't know... that theme is getting overused. Arceus is a false god -__-

I'd think that Cerberus has been taken by Houndoom (only without the 3 heads)... perhaps an evolution to it might make sense? Greek theme... I'm loving it but I still want my music instruments :P

Oops on that Baal thing, I spaced out there. I googled egyptian gods and it was on the list. As for your muscial thing...

Apolimya (Uh-paul-lim-ee-uh)

A female deity with the appearance of aphrodite yet with fierce musical powers. She wields a heart which she plays beautiful songs that lure people to their doom.

Moves:

Hypervoice

Perish song

Sing

Psychic

Psychic type pokemon

Ability: soothing sound

Upon entering battle all pokemon other then Apolimya will have their defense and special defense lowered by 1 or 2 stages (not sure on what it should be) do to the soothing music.

Hows that for a musical pokemon.

- Weird Pokemon combos, such as Fire/Grass, Fighting/Flying, etc...

- Weird Pokemon evolutions... hey, that Remora evolved into an Octopus, so

- Weird Pokemon abilities

- Weird Pokemon species (maybe something based off musical instruments...

- New moves that do weird stuff... we have Trick Room... maybe something else like attack/defense correlation inverses or something (as in low attack does more damage to higher defense Pokes)...

That's all i want, and by weird don't you mean different, or unique maybe, even new, i would really want to see a Fire/Water type, and what it would look like, or maybe a Steel/Ice, or Ice/Dragon, i demand more typing, but with the new moves, I'm getting second thoughts, because it may reshape the competitive gameplay again, but abilities i would like to see GameFreak attempt to make new abilities that haven't been done before, or are very similar to the already existed ones.

Interesting, I would like a region where the wheather and surroundings change drastically like if you were in the fire part it would be all volcanic and you could catch lots of fire pokemon there. That is what I would look forward too. The only problem with that are the dual type pokemon.