ROMs won't open on DeSmuME

I recently attempted to load Platinum on DeSmuME in order to Pal Park pokemon from Emerald. Unfortunately, this particular ROM didn't open. In addition, neither the other 2 copies of Platinum nor the copy of Diamond I downloaded opened. They also didn't open on no$gba. However, I am currently running Windows on my Mac, so I tried downloading DeSmuME for Mac, and the ROMs worked fine. So I have two questions:

1) What could be going wrong?

2) Would it be safe to run through Platinum on my Mac version of DeSmuME and Pal Park from the Windows save state of Emerald that I intend to migrate from, or would they not be compatible with each other?

Thanks in advance for any help. I can provide pics/vids of my process if necessary.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I can run any Windows program on my Mac (Check this link) so the emulator should be working fine. I can open DeSmuME, but I just can't open the ROM to play the game.

Either way if you think that I can Pal Park using the Mac version of DeSmuME then I don't need to worry about that stuff ... but just to be clear I ran the Emerald from the Windows partition of my Mac, so I'm just not sure if the two are compatible.