We all remember the Translation work our amazing team did, right?
I was wondering if we can take all the english from an English version of the game and load it into the Kanji fileset of a Japanese version (setting up so we can swtich between a Japanese version and an English version on the fly!)
I remember this being implimented with the translation patch. I figure it shouldnt be to hard to take the ALREADY translated files from an english game and plug them into a Japanese one where the Kanji tab's script would go. If anyone knows how to do this, or has a patch already, could it be mentioned please? I tend to break games when I open and edit the data
Having a setup like this could mean also having a multilang patch for a number of combinations of languages. I think the biggest advantage would be being able to rename pokemon names (and even catching them) in Japanese and switching to the English script for storyline and such.
Biggest disadvantage I see would be the namelength issue. catching pokemon in the english script would give them their perfectly normal english names, however renaming them would impose a character limit. the User's name too. (seeing as my English username is within the limits anyway, this isnt important)
(In a simple summary: The japanese version has support for switching between Kana and Kanji scripts. Could we use an English version's files to replace either the Kana or Kanji scripts with english so we can switch between english and japanese anytime like we could in the translation project? (this time however, using the official translation))
The cake is a lie... A very believable, mouthwateringly delicious lie...
Well, this is the best I can do... if you're familiar with PPTXT and Nitro Explorer (you actually just need Nitro Explorer for this), you should be able to insert these into a Jap ROM. Doesn't matter which version, since both versions have almost the same narc IIRC. I tried c/ping the English ones to the Jap one for 2.narc... there's a reason why it takes a bit of time, cause the narc files for both are quite different, sometimes, some of the files/txt files inside are placed in a different order. Not sure about the Story (which is 3.narc since I just exported the English narc and imported into the Jap narc, giving it both English and Japanese).
However, it still has some problems, such as the moves and TM and HM names, movesets and types, Pokemon Center lady and the lady at the left of the 2nd floor. I might post a new one again once I figure out what I did wrong again/where the problem is...
Oh, and sorry for bumping the thread or something, cause I thought this idea was interesting, and maybe perhaps by replacing the Jap text with English text, it might speed up my Jap ROM text (but that didn't worked out XD Maybe my ROM is just too slow).
- I fixed up some of the errors I mentioned above. Seems that there's a little bit of difference in the 3.narc when it comes to the order of the Pokemon Center dialogue and the Move family.
- I still have one more thing to fix, and that's the Pokemon screen, where you see the buttons to view their status, move them and stuff like that... I need to figure out where in the narc this is...
Final EDIT: Well, I fixed that part too now. If there are any more glitches that I missed, just point them out or something.
Link is edited with the new narcs.
My only problem now is the Pokemon type icons... I think you have to edit something else other thans those narcs... o__o
Last edited by Avegaille; May 22nd, 2011 at 06:10 PM.