Creating a fake Dream World

FLSHK

I'm not saying I could do it (at present, the only programming I know is some c++ console stuff, which doesn't include networking or any hardware access bar std::cin; I also can't do any scripting/markup language stuff). I was thinking that since Nintendo is eventually going to take down the Dream World (and remove all other online/Wi-Fi stuff for Black and White), would it be possible to make a fake one? I realize that the Dream World is done through a web browser (unlike the GTS), but I figure it would still be possible to make a fake one because of the GTS "hacking" stuff that has been done.

Haha, why? I haven't looked into it at all but I highly doubt it's that impractical.

It'd be like creating and running a Private Server for those MMORPG games, it'd be super hard to get the internal files and keep up to date. It just wouldn't be worth it, considering we can inject any Pokemon we wish into the Entralink Forest.

It'd be like creating and running a Private Server for those MMORPG games, it'd be super hard to get the internal files and keep up to date. It just wouldn't be worth it, considering we can inject any Pokemon we wish into the Entralink Forest.

I need to play more because I don't even know that the Entralink forest is. Anyway I thought the same thing about the GTS before all that happened. Turned out a stripped down version (does anybody have servers that function like the actual GTS with the ability to upload and search many pokemon?) wasn't that out of the question.

As far as the game is concerned it's pretty simple right? Upload pokemon, get back pokemon and/or items? The rest is all done on the server through a web interface so for that part we could have almost unlimited freedom.

I need to play more because I don't even know that the Entralink forest is.

Think of it as a large Mystery Gift delivery man... with the only flags/bits being species, gender, and whether it has a unique move in its fourth moveslot, and what that move is.

• 2 years later...

I'm interested in this type of project. What kind of data is needed to create a program that pretends to be a dream world server to trick the game? Will it require decrypting communications between the server and game or something else that needs to be done before the servers go down?

That's a big part of what I was thinking. Legacy support. Though with the same type of trickery, It's also good for people who might want to just send themselves batches of items the way you can mimic the GTC to send yourself pokemon.

Support for community features (visiting other islands, dream pals) will require actual servers, but what I have in mind is something you can just run on your own computer to play most of the role. Almost certainly without the one hour a day limit since there's no shared bandwidth issue and because you won't be able to have friends water your berries.

Thin is, I need to find SOMETHING about how the GTS mimicry works, If that's even applicable to dream world interactions. Basically, I want to know if data logging actual communications between he GTS and games will be vital to fooling the games, and how to do that.

http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/GTS_protocol

That's a start on how the GTS works. To do what you want to do, you'd want to set up a man-in-the-middle attack, specifically looking to see if it communicates over HTTP, HTTPS, or a direct socket connection. If it's the former, then you should post what you intercepted if you need help decrypting it, because that's easy to work with. If it's HTTPS or a direct socket connection, while still possible, the additional effort involved would likely preclude serious development, since you can't easily distribute anything you find, even if you *can* find something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the helpful explanation. I'm assuming the most efficient way to do that would be to connect my DS directly to my computer, with a wireless card or adapter, though I don't have the hardware for that right now. I'm more likely to try catching it through my router's LAN first.

Thanks for the helpful explanation. I'm assuming the most efficient way to do that would be to connect my DS directly to my computer, with a wireless card or adapter, though I don't have the hardware for that right now. I'm more likely to try catching it through my router's LAN first.

With the GTS, what we did was set the DS's DNS to your local machine, and then run a DNS Spoofer on that machine, so you can view the requests coming and going. You might be able to capture that through your router, but remember that you'll have to sift through every other computer on your network's traffic, as well.

• 1 month later...

Well, thankfully I misread the shutdown schedule, and game synch will work normally until December 10th, when tucking in pokemon is disabled. Currently the servers will not accept any new registration of cartridges.

And it seems tomorrow I'll be getting the old USB antenna. So now I can just make a dedicated network and log all data the DS sends and receives, as it will be the sole client.

Would it be redundant To make a game synch spoofing thread, as dream world is just one function of it?