Pokémon Generation I & II Event Guide v1.2

Twig

Pokémon Generation I Event Guide

Written by Twig

This is a guide for Pokémon Generation I events. Generation I consists of the Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow Game Boy Pokémon games. Generation I and II Pokémon are not able to be traded or imported to Generation III, IV, and V Pokémon games. I personally attended two of the Toysrus Mew giveaways as well the 2000 Pokémon Stadium Tour Mew giveaway. If you are going to cite any information in this guide, I ask that you give credit to me as the author of the guide.

Special thanks to the following members for helping to contribute sections: Poryhack, Gold Ursaring, Requiem, Nirron, SnorlaxMonster, and Lady Ariel.

CoroCoro Mew Giveaway 1996-1997

The Japanese magazine CoroCoro announced a contest for a Mew. CoroCoro gave away only 20 Mews, and received more than 78,000 contest entries.

Nintendo Power Surfng Pikachu Giveaway October, 1999

In October of 1999, Nintendo Power annouced a giveaway for a surfing Pikachu. The Pikachu knew surf and could learn other water type moves. Only 1,000 Pikachus were distributed nationwide. The surfing Pikachu could be used to play the Pikachu surfing minigame in Pokémon yellow.

1.jpg2.jpg

Spaceworld Mew Giveaway November, 1999

Mew was distributed at the Spaceworld convention center in Tokyo to contest winners. Contestents who sent in entry cards were mailed confirmation letters to be taken to one of twenty Mew distribution stations at the convention. The contest winners handed their game paks to a Nintendo employee who plugged the cartridge into the Mew distribution machine. "Onscreen, a visual would appear of Mew heading through a cable into its new home" (Nintendo Power, 1999). The machine includes a Super Nintendo controller, and what looks to be a Super Nintendo with a modified Super Game Boy 2 adapter.

3.jpg4.jpg

Source: Pokemon.co.jp

Nintendo Power Mew Giveaway November, 1999

In November of 1999, Nintendo Power announced a Mew giveaway. Only 1,000 Mews were distributed nationwide.

Toysrus Mew Contest September 26, 1999

5.jpg6.jpg

Source: IGN.com

For those of you who have caught 'em all but are still desperate to add to that collection, November 26th is your day. That's the day Mew, Pokémon #151, comes to Toys "R" Us all across the country.

As many Pokémaniacs know, Mew is the most rare Pokémon of them all. There is no possible way to catch him or trade for him in either Pokémon Red, Blue, or Yellow cartridges. The only way to snag this critter, up until now, was to be a Nintendo Power contest winner snag him at a special Pokémon event.

Finally, Mew is available to the masses. However, Pokémon trainers will have to be on their toes if they want to catch Mew. Here's how to be a part of this event:

• Have your Gameboy and a Pokémon Gameboy cartridge ready on November26th.
  • Be the one of the first 1,500 customers at any Toys "R" Us store, and you will receive a special 'Peel & Win' sticker card.
  • Peel off the Mew sticker.
  • If the words "Caught Me!" appear under the sticker, you have won Mew, and a Toys "R" Us employee will upload a Mew Pokémon into your own Pokémon cartridge (be it Red, Blue, or Yellow).

Two hundred Mews will be given away at each Toys "R" Us location, so you have about a one-in-seven chance of snagging one.

See your local Toys "R" Us for more details and legal mumbo-jumbo, and while you're at it, scope out your city for an underpopulated Toys "R" Us store for the best chance to catch Mew. This will be a tough hunt, but a Master Trainers should be up to the challenge. Good luck!

This is the Toysrus Mew Contest 'Peel & Win' sticker card.

7.jpg

Below are pictures of the gameboy distribution cart sent to Toysrus for the event.

5415979933_ff2c8a83b5_m.jpg&key=e5478f885415979951_ed57530754_m.jpg&key=09534c045415979979_1624e3751e_m.jpg&key=952780135415980009_12c02288d1_m.jpg&key=c4ef493e

2000 Pokémon Stadium Tour Mew Giveaway July 10 - September 12, 1999

stadiumtourlogo.gif&key=dc1ee5427a9ea282

Source: Pokemon.com

Attention Pokémon Trainers! Once again, the time has come to prove yourself in Pokémon battle. This time, the action takes place in the 3D battle arenas found in Pokémon Stadium for Nintendo 64. Are your Pokémon strong enough to compete against the best Pokémon Trainers in the country? The Nintendo Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour is your chance to find out!

The Stadium Tour hosts Pokémon Battles in three skill groups: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Trainers are allowed to use either Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow.

Using the new Transfer Pak, competitors will be able to watch their best Pokémon from their favorite Game Boy game battle in full 3D on Nintendo 64.

If you and your Pokémon perform well, you'll have the opportunity to earn Official Pokémon Trainer Badges! Pokémon Masters from Nintendo will be on-hand to challenge the very best Pokémon Trainers to a Pokémon Master Trainer Challenge on mammoth big screen televsions.

Even if you don't like to throw your Pokémon into battle, you'll have plenty to do at the Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour. Trainers from Nintendo will be hard at work distributing Mew, and you can enter the Pokémon Arcade to play Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Pinball and Pokémon Trading Card Game, a new Game Boy version of the popular trading card game.

Pikachu is gonna show up, and so should you!

Central_mew.jpg&key=d71f0b6d7147c5775019

Source: Bulbapedia

Nintendo employees handed out certificates of authenticity with the downloaded Mews. Each Mew's unique ID number was written onto the certificate of authenticity.

Mew.jpg

Source: 1UP.com Blog

If anyone has any information or corrections for the guide, please post below.

• Time Gear 1

Pokémon Generation II Event Guide **Not Completed**

Written by Twig

USA

Nintendo Power Celebi Giveaway July, 2001

86bd6ceb-4c04-4487-87d7-3b8f90394207.jpg

Six Flags Pokemon Fun Fest Summer, 2001

celebi_funfest.gif

Celebi is at Pokémon Fun Fest

Experience the Pokémon excitement at Pokémon Fun Fest coming to Six Flags Theme Parks across the country. Complete schedule and details shown below.

Be sure to bring your Pokémon game pak to participate in head-to-head competitions as well as random play action in our game play area. PLUS - If you bring Pokémon Gold, Silver or Crystal version, you can get the rare Pokémon Celebi added to your game pak!

You'll also have a chance to play the Pokémon Trading Card Game and to check out the infamous Pikachu & Lugia cars. While at the event, make sure to join in on the activities to win cool prizes. Don't forget to bring your camera and have your picture taken with Pikachu!

funfestschedule.png

5489758250_87803c368e_m.jpg 5489757844_60f8085c52_m.jpg 5489161333_16acda9de9_m.jpg 5489160877_a92a26d40b_m.jpg 5489758476_b37b4e4c93_m.jpg 5489758696_55fc69acd1_m.jpg

Source

01_thumb.jpg 02_thumb.jpg atlanta_thumb.jpg houston_thumb.jpg houstonpikachu_thumb.jpg houstontrivia_thumb.jpg sfsl_thumb.jpg st_louis_n64_thumb.jpg

Pokemon.com Celebi Giveaway June, 2001

celebi_sweeps.gif

You can't capture the mysterious Time Travel Pokémon in the wild -- but you could win it directly from Nintendo in our exclusive online sweepstakes!

Gotta catch 'em all! Station (PCNY) September 17th, 2002 - January 2nd, 2003

nycdistribution.png

Belgium Celebi Giveaway Date Unknown

573715CTOURCelebi.png

Source: Requiem

Mew LV5

Moveset: pound/megapunch

OT: BENELUX

ID Serial number(?) Examples known: 26191/25794/25908

Disptribution place known : Cora Chatelineau

Celebi

Lv5

Leech seed/confusion/recover/heal bell

Wavre, Walibi. Celebi tour truck.

3 different machines giving different OT

OT: FRANCO

ID (serial number) Examples known: 03735/ 03690

OT: JENS

ID (serial number) Examples known: 02026 / 02024 / 02023 /22031 / 22032

OT: NICO

ID (serial number) Examples known: 23180 / 23181 / 43253 / 43404 / 43408 / 43409 / 43410 /43411

OT: CTOUR

ID (Serial number) Examples known: 22881/22882/22883/22884/22885/22886/22887/22888/22889/22890/

22891/22892/22893/22894/22895/22896/22897/22898/22899/22900.

Unlike the 3 others, CTOUR wasn't freely distributed at the event.

The event included a tournament, being qualified to second tour granted you a cadridge with 20 distributable CTOUR Celebi.

Japan

Crystal-mobile_phone_unit.jpg

The Pokémon Mobile System GB (Japanese: ポケモンモバイルシステムGB) is a system in the Japanese version of Pokémon Crystal through which the player can link up with others by connecting to a mobile phone. It was never implemented outside of Japan, likely due to the fact that cell phones were not as advanced or popular in other regions at the time.

A visit to the Pokémon Communication Center in the Japanese version of Pokémon Crystal, here in an English version hacked to restore the facility and the unused English script.

In the Japanese version of Crystal, Goldenrod's Pokémon Center is replaced by a larger building called the Pokémon Communication Center, which includes the machine to use this feature. Another feature of the facility is the Pokémon News Machine, which compiles news from the save files of players across Japan. Reading the news would sent out a player's own save file data, allowing other Trainers to read about the player's adventure.

The system had a special mobile event which allowed players to obtain the GS Ball. This item, given by a nurse in the Pokémon Communication Center in Goldenrod City, may be taken to Kurt in Azalea Town to investigate. After a day passes, taking the GS Ball to the shrine in Ilex Forest summons a level 30 Celebi to battle. Many Pokémon fans worldwide have used a GameShark to receive the GS Ball instead, due to the removal of this system in their region.

The Battle Tower near Olivine City also takes use of the Pokémon Mobile System in the Japanese version.

Source: Bulbapedia

Edited by Twig

• 4 weeks later...

Do you want any information on the Gen 1 and 2 events in Australia (a Mew giveaway and a Celebi giveaway)?

I attended them both and still have my Mews and Celebis on my old Gen 1 and 2 carts at home, so I could post info on how they were distributed, what they were, etc... Though they are probably the same as the Mew and Celebi in the USA.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the events but I can describe locations and setups.

I have been trying to track down some one who has the certificates of authenticity and still have the game with the Mew I was dened the right to get mew when I had the chance so all the ones I have goten on my Gen 1 came from catching it using a Gameshark I would love to have one of these same with Celebi I would love to have an official one maybe one of these days some one will put in on ebay with all of it

• 3 months later...
Do you want any information on the Gen 1 and 2 events in Australia (a Mew giveaway and a Celebi giveaway)?

I attended them both and still have my Mews and Celebis on my old Gen 1 and 2 carts at home, so I could post info on how they were distributed, what they were, etc... Though they are probably the same as the Mew and Celebi in the USA.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the events but I can describe locations and setups.

I sent you a PM, your help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, this is Least100Seraphs - had to make a new account as I can't remember my original account's password and it was before I changed email address so I can't have it reset either :/

Anyways, if you can PM me again with what you need I'll get onto it ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Belgium GB Events

Mew LV5

Moveset: pound/megapunch

OT: BENELUX

ID Serial number(?) Examples known: 26191/25794/25908

Disptribution place known : Cora Chatelineau

Celebi

Lv5

Leech seed/confusion/recover/heal bell

Wavre, Walibi. Celebi tour truck.

3 different machines giving different OT

OT: FRANCO

ID (serial number) Examples known: 03735/ 03690

OT: JENS

ID (serial number) Examples known: 02026 / 02024 / 02023 /22031 / 22032

OT: NICO

ID (serial number) Examples known: 23180 / 23181 / 43253 / 43404 / 43408 / 43409 / 43410 /43411

OT: CTOUR

ID (Serial number) Examples known: 22881/22882/22883/22884/22885/22886/22887/22888/22889/22890/

22891/22892/22893/22894/22895/22896/22897/22898/22899/22900.

Unlike the 3 others, CTOUR wasn't freely distributed at the event.

The event included a tournament, being qualified to second tour granted you a cadridge with 20 distributable CTOUR Celebi.

I'll see what i can do for dates and pics.

Edited by Requiem

I'm not sure i'll be able to get dates but i'll try.

I'm going back in my country in a week. I'll be able to take a few pictures there.

-Red and Blue with "Mew inside" sticker on it. (that one i'm sure i can do since it's mine)

About Celebi, I got info from a friend but he's very careful with his collection so with a few chances i'll have something to give to you. And if someone can help me with the dates... it's him.

When i have everything, i'll edit this post with it and PM you.

-----

1st Edit

BENELUX MEW

978795jeuxpokemonGaetRequiem2.jpg

Edited by Requiem

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm not sure i'll be able to get dates but i'll try.

I'm going back in my country in a week. I'll be able to take a few pictures there.

-Red and Blue with "Mew inside" sticker on it. (that one i'm sure i can do since it's mine)

About Celebi, I got info from a friend but he's very careful with his collection so with a few chances i'll have something to give to you. And if someone can help me with the dates... it's him.

When i have everything, i'll edit this post with it and PM you.

-----

1st Edit

BENELUX MEW

978795jeuxpokemonGaetRequiem2.jpg

Awesome, I'll be sure to credit you in the guide.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've just known that the gameboy distribution cart sent to Toysrus for the "Toysrus Mew Contest" Event was stolen by some guy that worked at Posts... It's really unlucky that such a great item was stolen by someone who doesn't even know what it is... A piece of history lost =(

Edited by XJ55

• 1 month later...
I've just known that the gameboy distribution cart sent to Toysrus for the "Toysrus Mew Contest" Event was stolen by some guy that worked at Posts... It's really unlucky that such a great item was stolen by someone who doesn't even know what it is... A piece of history lost =(

I'm not following what your saying, the post office stole it?

• 2 weeks later...

Lady Ariel and I have been working on compiling a list of Gen I/II event Pokémon on Bulbapedia. It's split across five pages though, and there are more events that we know about but don't have enough info yet to add. Most of the lists should include sources for the events (particularly the ones added recently) - if it doesn't have a source listed I could probably find what the source was (and will then add it to the page). Feel free to use info on the pages. The relevant pages are:

Lady Ariel and I have been working on compiling a list of Gen I/II event Pokémon on Bulbapedia. It's split across five pages though, and there are more events that we know about but don't have enough info yet to add. Most of the lists should include sources for the events (particularly the ones added recently) - if it doesn't have a source listed I could probably find what the source was (and will then add it to the page). Feel free to use info on the pages. The relevant pages are:

I sent you a PM.

• 1 year later...

I have some Informations about the Mew Tour in Germany, in the end of 2000. Here are the Locations:

05.12. - 06.12.2000

Leipzig (Günthersdorf) | Toys´R´Us in the Saale-Park-Center

Köln | Karstadt

Munich | Kaufhof at the Marienplatz

08.12. - 09.12.2000

Berlin | Kaufhof at the Alexanderplatz

Köln | Toys´R´Us

Munich | Toys´R´Us at the Helene-Wessel-Bogen

12.12. - 13.12.2000

Hamburg-Wandsbeck | Karstadt

Frankfurt | Kaufhof

Stuttgart | Kaufhof

15.12. - 16.12.2000

Bremen | Karstadt

Homburg-Einöd | Alpha Tecc.

Ansbach | Müller in the

Brücken-Center

19-12. - 20.12.2000

Hamburg | Karstadt

Hannover | Karstadt

Viernheim | Toys´R´Us

The Offical Stagement (in German]

Im Dezember habt ihr die einmalige Möglichkeit, euch das seltenste aller Pokémon auf eure Game Boy Pokémon Edition laden zu lassen.

Vom 05.12. - 20.12.2000 ist ein spezielles Team von Pokémon-Trainern in einigen deutschen Städten unterwegs, um als besonderes Weihnachtsgeschenk das heißbegehrte Mew unter den Pokémon-Fans zu verteilen.

Das einzige was ihr dafür mitbringen müsst: Eure Pokémon Edition (rot, blau oder gelb) und eine große Portion guter Laune!

Das Nintendo-Team wird nicht nur Mew an den Mann und die Frau bringen, sondern auch die Veranstaltung mit lustigen Spielen anheizen.

Wenn ihr also in der Vorweihnachtszeit noch einmal die Pokémania so richtig erleben wollt, solltet ihr eines der unten genannten Kaufhäusern besuchen.

Das Motto lautet: Gleichgesinnte treffen, Pokémon-Spiele zocken und das seltene Mew mit nach Hause nehmen.

Also, merkt euch die Daten in euren Kalendern vor. Wir warten auf euch!

animexx.onlinewelten.com/news/13509936855029/

forum.cheats.de/showthread.php/19526-Mew-Gerüchte-(es-sind-nur-Gerüchte)-!!!

So I dont have other Informations about the Dates (OT, ID, random Stuff), but I try to get more Informations and Pictures about that.

I update Bulbapedia with those Informations now.

• 2 years later...

Not to play necromancer, but nobody's mentioned the Shogakukan Stamp Pay Day Pokèmon?

Pokémon Stamp Pokémon

Two Pokémon, Fearow and Rapidash, with the special move Pay Day were available through the Pokémon Stamp campaign that ran in various magazines published by Shogakukan.

These Pokémon are the Kanto Pokémon Fan Club Chairman's two favorite Pokémon that he mentions in the games, and also made their appearance in The Coming of Slowpoke (Eventually) in Pokémon Adventures.

Pokemon: Fearow/オニドリル

Level: 40(?)

OT: Unknown

ID: Unknown

Ability: N/A

Nature: N/A

Moves:

Move 1 Growl

Move 2 Leer

Move 3 Fury Attack

Move 4 Pay Day

Item: Berry* (If traded forward to Gen II)

Pokeball: N/A

Ribbon: N/A

Dates: August 1998

Game Distribution: JP R/G/B

Distribution Type: Unknown (Mail-in? Contest?)

Distribution Location: Japan

Sources: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_event_Pok%C3%A9mon_distributions_in_Generation_I#Fearow

Pokemon: Rapidash/ギャロップ

Level: 40

OT: Unknown

ID: Unknown

Ability: N/A

Nature: N/A

Moves:

Move 1 Ember

Move 2 Fire Spin

Move 3 Stomp

Move 4 Pay Day

Item: Silver Leaf* (If traded forward to Gen II)

Pokeball: N/A

Ribbon: N/A

Dates: August 1998

Game Distribution: JP R/G/B

Distribution Type: Unknown (Mail-in? Contest?)

Distribution Location: Japan

Sources: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_event_Pok%C3%A9mon_distributions_in_Generation_I#Rapidash