Pokegen always sets nickname flag

nekoakuma

I've been playing around with pokegen a bit and one thing that bugs me is that whenever I save it, it sets the nicknamed flag for all my pokemon. it's kind of a pain when i'm training and evolving pokemon.

after i save in pokegen i have to go back to pokesav and un-nickname them all.

usually its jsut faster for me to use pokesav in most cases.

i'm playing untranslated japanese.

That's good to know. Using pokegen or an english pokesav, or translated rom apparently gives wi-fi errors due to the names being too long.

Wouldn't an alternative method be to (not sure how to explain this really)

have two name lists, one with english, the other with the proper japanese.

so that when you choose a pokemon, in pokegen it shows the english name (or nickname and sets that flag) but it writes the actual name from the japanese name list.

if that makes sense. (sorry, tired. finished work just now.)

Using pokegen or an english pokesav, or translated rom apparently gives wi-fi errors due to the names being too long.

Nicknames can't be too long. There are 11 characters (really 10) available to write to. You can't just add more. The room in the data doesn't exist, and can't be added.

Wouldn't an alternative method be to (not sure how to explain this really)

have two name lists, one with english, the other with the proper japanese.

so that when you choose a pokemon, in pokegen it shows the english name (or nickname and sets that flag) but it writes the actual name from the japanese name list.

There are 3 lists for every combo box already. English, Japanese, and Spanish. Spanish isn't always fully Spanish yet though. Anyway, switching to Japanese and leaving the nickname editbox blank will fill in the Japanese name of the Pokemon. Also, it should be checking FOR a Japanese name to set/not set the nickname flag as well. This is why I mentioned doing that.

That's good to know. Using pokegen or an english pokesav, or translated rom apparently gives wi-fi errors due to the names being too long.

i've been testing random wifi to see what works and what doesn't. the english version works fine, the pokes just need to be named in japanese.they can also be named in english, but you need to actually fill in the character values (i.e. \FF34 =T) yourself. The name can go over 5 in english, you just need to do it that way.

These actually are the Japanese-English characters. I don't know what I was thinking. Until I add the character map, you can just go to a site like www.unicodemap.org to copy the necessary Japanese-English characters. (http://www.unicodemap.org/range/87/Halfwidth_and_Fullwidth_Forms/)

if you do end up fixing this for the next beta, renamed pokes in pokegen will work on random wifi instead of having to copy and paste japanese-english values. definitely something to look forward to. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I have the original game in Japanese and English. So in these games I have pokemon transferred from one to another version, so if I put Pokegen to English language and charge my American save version, when I saved the changes, Pokegen altered all my pokemon that I have Japanese language activating the NickName Flag

The same thing happens on the contrary, if I want most of my pokemon from my Japanese game remain intact, I have to change the language of Pokegen to Japanese, but my pokemons Americans now have in this version will have the NickName Flag enabled.

I believe that the most appropriate is that Pokegen not try to verify at any time the NickName of Pokemon. If not that, just as it includes Pokesav, add a checkbox to indicate whether the name is the original name of the pokemon or if it is a nickname. For in this way, each user individually set for itself.

In this case, now I have to check all my games now to see how many I have now altered pokemon, which are many and I just noticed this problem. For this reason, I hope soon to get Codr an update to this detail.

It is obvious, I do not know if my idea is correct, and that if so, perhaps already been implemented.

Moreover, I want to warn once about a bug I found.

In the latest version Pokegen 3.0b15, the tables of Japanese characters in the Original Trainer are delirious for 1 value. This means that if my OT is はな, the program mark me with these characters, but to save and reopen it, I changed all my pokemons OT by the previous character of each. In my case the change of のど.

Checking the table I found that puts the character that comes before displaying the program:

に ぬ ね

So the program modifies all my pokemons with Japanese OT.

I had not fixed it but believed that Pokegen just kept changing the pokemons modified, rather than get their hands on all the save T_T

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Automatic nickname checking is going to be removed in beta 16. It's taking a while due to the Pokedex though.

I want to warn once about a bug I found.

In the latest version Pokegen 3.0b15, the tables of Japanese characters in the Original Trainer are delirious for 1 value. This means that if my OT is はな, the program mark me with these characters, but to save and reopen it, I changed all my pokemons OT by the previous character of each. In my case the change of のど.

I'll check on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Moreover, I want to warn once about a bug I found.

Checking the table I found that puts the character that comes before displaying the program:

に ぬ ね

I can't reproduce this or find any reason for it to be happening. Are you able to produce this problem consistently? If so, explaining how would be helpful.