OU Rain Dance Team

Tbird

A Slap to the Face of Crasher Wake!

Changes in Red

So this is my new OU team. For the past week I have been toying around with the idea of different themed teams. My initial idea was to make a viable OU Sunny Day team... I quickly abandoned that Idea. The next idea was a sand stream. That team wasn't too bad but left a lot to be desired. I eventually gave in went for the phenomenon that is Rain Dance.

The idea for this team is to be as destructive as possible (as is the nature of every Rain Dance team) while maintaining bulk where ever I can, as a lack of bulk has been the bane of many rain dance teams that I have faced.

Anyway without Further ado - Here's the team!

[HGSSSPRITE]142[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]230[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]211[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]139[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]437[/HGSSSPRITE][sHINYSPRITE]282[/sHINYSPRITE]

Lead

Spr_3e_142.gif

Ptera (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Damp Rock

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Rock Slide

- Rain Dance

- Stealth Rock

- Taunt

I figure the fastest stealth rocker in the game is probably the best Rain Dancer too. The way this plays is very very situational, however the rain will be coming, it's just a matter of what the opponant does that depends on if the rocks come too. In my situations taunt is the first move, use it just like the standard aero. If they attacked first turn, then I have to rain dance and start destroying things instantly. If they didn't attack first then I can SR and follow with Rain dance on the turn that aero falls. If I'm against a priority user then I rain dance first turn, however, I'm not sure if Ice shard off of mammo is a 2HKO or 3HKO. (I would check but smogon is down thus no damage calc :/)

The EV's are set out in a way that I can always get rain dance up. Aero with the HP investment can take an Ice Punch from Weavile and set up rain in its face. Counter leads get taunted before they can taunt, and the process continues as it would normally, however rockslide is thrown in to break the sash after I've set up rain.

---

Rain Dancer II, Mixed Attacker

Spr_3e_230.gif

"Look How I dance!"

Giga (Kingdra) (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Swift Swim

EVs: 252 Atk/16 Spd/240 SAtk

Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)

- Rain Dance

- Waterfall

- Hydro Pump

- Outrage

Any OU rain dance team lacking kingdra is poo! Or so smogon tells me... Alas they do not lie, nor dissapoint. Kingdra is a beast. It is that simple. I have always had a fondness for kingdra, however, outside of the rain Gyarados is usually my go to water attacker.

I must say, When I used kingdra the first time in the rain, I was hella surprised. I was think ing 'I've not even used dragon dance... and I am pwning :o'. The coverage provided is really quite good considering it is only using two types of attack. Waterfall is the general move to spam, followed by draco meteor for the fellow dragon types, and hydro pump to hurt most physical walls. I am tempted to use outrage over draco meteor however, as the drop in special attack is less than stellar.

I have finally chosen outrage ... 1) I need more physical physical attacks on this team. 2) The Stat drop really hurt.. Confusion hurts too, but my new wish passer Helps me with that :D

---

Physical sweeper ... OF DOOM

Spr_3e_211.gif

Hoss (Qwilfish) (M) @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Poison Jab

- Swords Dance

- Waterfall

- Explosion

The bomb of the team. Most people go the Kabutops route... But I think qwilfish is just cooler. Simple as that... and well, I don't want toxic spikes tearing this team to shreds. The idea is simple, sword dance where possible, tear the opponent a new one with Water fall and the occasional poison jab, explode when life orb takes its toll, or if rain is about to die, or if they are silly enough to put blissey in front of me. Poison Jab is to take care of Abomasnow and other grassers that could otherwise threaten the team. There's not much else to say about Qwilfish, it's a generally cool pokemon, and has a hell of a lot of power.

---

Rain Dancer III, Special Sweeper

Spr_3e_139.gif

Omi (Omastar) (M) @ Life Orb

EVs: 4 Hp/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Earth Power

- Hydro Pump

- Ice Beam

- Rain Dance

Omastar is my special sweeper and heatran Counter. It outspeed scarftran in the rain and OHKOs with Earthpower... Lovely. Aside from that it provides Special coverage that the team lacks thus far. I chose Omastar as it has enough physical bulk, thus more opportunities, to switch in and bringeth the rain. Hydro pump is the standard stab attack, and after STAB + Rain boost is really quite a destructive move. Ice beam hits grassers and salamence hard, while Earthpower hits Heatran for deadly damage.

---

Rain Dancer IV, Weather Man

Spr_4d_437.png

'I Didn't want to be animated anyway :('

Blaine (Bronzong) @ Damp Rock

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP/56 Atk/8 Def/100 SAtk/92 SDef

Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spe)

- Grass Knot

- Rain Dance

- Earthquake

- Hypnosis/Reflect

Bronzong, though lacking an animation, is one of the key pokemon of the team. It is, who I have dubbed, the Weather Man, taking out Hippowdon and Tyranitar. This is my take on the set 'Torrentialzong' from smogon. The EVs ensure that both Hippowdon and Tyranitar are 2HKO while neither can boost the same. For this reason the only imporant moves on this set are Grass Knot and Rain dance. Hypnosis is a generally good move that can cripple the TTar switch in, while reflect opens up oportunites for others to switch in. Earthquake is the last move. And I have chosen Earthquake because it provides nice attacking coverage. I don't use it much though, so if anyone can recommend a better move for that slot that'd be awesome.

---

Dancer V, Wowish Support

Spr_3e_282_s.gif

*Passes Wish*

Rainy (Gardevoir) (F) @ Damp Rock

Ability: Trace

EVs: 244 HP/200 Spd/64 SDef

Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Wish

- Rain Dance

- Will-o-wisp

- Psychic/Light screen/Reflect

A "filler" pokemon that I actually like and enjoy using... Yay :D. So for the 6th spot after a bit of testing I have gone Rainy the Gardevoir. She's blue and called rainy.. She's perfect :P.

Anyway. Wish is something I really wanted out on this team, as a lot of the time after the sweepers have done all they can do they just become death fodder. This way they gain a whole new lease on life and live to sweep again. Imagine being sat there, the rain has finally stopped ... the opponant is finally weaked enough for you to sweep them ... Then boom, they bring back the rain and to make matters worse their main sweeper is all but fully healthy. Fun fun times>: ). Psychic is to stop her from being pure taunt bait (however it has been pointed out that taunters rarely leave the first 1st half of the game anyway so it may not be a problem - thus the screens are there for other options). Will o wisp is to stop switching out from TTar (should she be faced with such a predicament) being so detrimental.

The EV's ensure that two spexxed draco meteors don't knock her out, and the rest were thrown into speed. I need more testing and I may need to configure the EVs a little to adjust to some unaccounted for physical assaults, but we'll see when that happens.

---

So that is my team. I'm posting as I feel that there is still something missing, and although it works effectively it isn't perfect.

So please be as critical as possible and help a brother out :P

Thanks for reading. :)

Warstories

Making the best out of a bad situation

Score in Red

Commentary in Blue

Opponent

[HGSSSPRITE]142[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]134[/HGSSSPRITE][sprite]479-5[/sprite][HGSSSPRITE]212[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]251[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]392[/HGSSSPRITE]

Me

[HGSSSPRITE]142[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]211[/HGSSSPRITE][sHINYSPRITE]282[/sHINYSPRITE]

Rules: Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause

6 - 6

[Opponent] sent out Aerodactyl (lvl 100 Aerodactyl ?).

Tbird sent out Ptera (lvl 100 Aerodactyl ?).

Ptera is exerting its pressure!

Aerodactyl is exerting its pressure!

Aerodactyl used Rock Slide.

Aerodactyl's attack missed!

Ptera used Rain Dance.

Rain began to fall!

The rain continues to fall.

A weird start for both here. I usually taunt first, but after battling him a few times I’ve noticed he doesn’t taunt opposing Aero so decided to get the rain out. Unlucky miss there though.

Ptera used Rock Slide.

It's super effective!

Aerodactyl lost 90% of its health.

Aerodactyl flinched!

More unfortunate hax for him, but to be fair he’d been haxing me all night long :P. I wanted to switch out here and now, but figured switching in on Rockslide, followed by another rockslide when the sash activates could possibly kill one of my sweepers.

Ptera used Stealth Rock.

Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

Aerodactyl used Rock Slide.

It's super effective!

Ptera lost 85% of its health.

… I instead decided to waste valuable rain turns Instead of pwn with rockslide :/… I can’t say I know why but I did. :/

Ptera used Rock Slide.

It's super effective!

Aerodactyl lost 82% of its health.

[Opponent]'s Aerodactyl fainted.

At this point I figured I may aswell continue wasting turns now and wait to set up in another 8 turns time. Plus I can scout no with nearly dead Ptera

6 - 5

[Opponent]: nooooooo!

[Opponent] switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).

Pointed stones dug into Vaporeon.

Vaporeon lost 12% of its health.

Tbird: There we go .. finally I get the speed tie :L

Ptera used Taunt.

Vaporeon fell for the taunt!

Vaporeon used Surf.

It's super effective!

Ptera lost 131% of its health.

Tbird's Ptera fainted.

Vaporeon's leftovers restored its health a little!

Vaporeon restored 6% of its health.

In my turn wasting I was presented with a perfect opportunity to stall out turns by taunting Vaporeon into mono-attack mode.

5 - 5

Tbird switched in Rainy (lvl 100 Gardevoir ?).

Rainy traced Vaporeon's Water Absorb!

[Opponent]: hehe... payback.

Rainy used Will-o-wisp.

Vaporeon was burned!

Vaporeon used Surf.

Vaporeon was hurt by its burn!

Knowing he can’t hurt me I figure I’ll stall him out a little with will-o-wisp. I guess he forgot to read the side bar :/.

And I’m sure not going to remind him after the pigs ear I’ve made of this first segment.

[Opponent]: how can a water type... nvm

Tbird: Lmao xD

Rainy used Psychic.

Vaporeon lost 29% of its health.

Vaporeon used Surf.

I kinda feel ashamed with myself for not telling him now… but Survival of the fittest!

Rainy used Psychic.

Vaporeon lost 28% of its health.

Vaporeon used Surf.

Vaporeon's taunt wore off!

The rain stopped.

Ok bad times. Taunt and rain go on the same turn… Not the best out come I could wish for.

Vaporeon used Protect.

Vaporeon protected itself!

Rainy used Rain Dance.

Rain began to fall!

Now I figure I will happily take what’s thrown at me so long as I can get the rain out. Thankfully protect over toxic :D, giving me the free switch I need.

Tbird switched in Hoss (lvl 100 Qwilfish ?).

Vaporeon used Wish.

Vaporeon made a wish!

Entrada Hoss!

Vaporeon used Protect.

Vaporeon protected itself!

Hoss used Swords Dance.

Hoss's attack was sharply raised.

The wish came true!

Vaporeon restored 50% of its health.

Knowing that wish is never far from Protect I guess swords dance is a good move here.

[Opponent] switched in Rotom-c (lvl 100 Rotom-c).

Pointed stones dug into Rotom-c.

Rotom-c lost 12% of its health.

Hoss used Poison Jab.

It's not very effective...

Rotom-c lost 49% of its health.

Rotom-c was poisoned!

Hoss lost 10% of its health.

Rotom-c's leftovers restored its health a little!

Rotom-c restored 6% of its health.

Rotom-c is hurt by poison!

Rotom-c lost 12% of its health.

And now it’s time for rain to do what it does. I can’t say I blame him for the switch here, If I miss then his physical rotom can really cripple me.

Hoss used Waterfall.

Rotom-c lost 127% of its health.

[Opponent]'s Rotom-c fainted.

Alas that was not to be.

5 - 4

[Opponent] switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).

Pointed stones dug into Scizor.

Scizor lost 12% of its health.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.

It's not very effective...

Hoss lost 44% of its health.

Hoss used Waterfall.

Scizor lost 144% of its health.

[Opponent]'s Scizor fainted.

I figured … I didn’t figure anything here, I prayed with all my heart that bullet punch wouldn’t OHKO. And God came through for me :P.

5 - 3

[Opponent] switched in Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).

Pointed stones dug into Celebi.

Celebi lost 12% of its health.

Hoss used Poison Jab.

It's super effective!

Celebi lost 203% of its health.

[Opponent]'s Celebi fainted.

Ya hate to see it :/.

5 - 2

[Opponent] switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).

Pointed stones dug into Infernape.

Infernape lost 12% of its health.

Hoss used Waterfall.

It's super effective!

Infernape lost 431% of its health.

[Opponent]'s Infernape fainted.

The rain stopped.

There’s no stopping Hoss!

5 - 1

[Opponent] switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).

Pointed stones dug into Vaporeon.

[Opponent]: massacre

Tbird: Wow

Hoss used Poison Jab.

Vaporeon lost 76% of its health.

[Opponent]'s Vaporeon fainted.

Tbird wins!

And there’s the good game.

5 - 0

[Opponent]: that fish...

Tbird: So THAT'S how I'm supposed to play this team

[Opponent]: yes!

Tbird: Do you mind if I log this and post it on my thread?

[Opponent]: nope.

Tbird: I'll blank your name out if you wish

[Opponent]: doesn't matter.

Tbird: Haha well gg :D

Edited by Tbird

Ptera: Unconventional, but I like. Mamoswine would 2OHKO with Ice Shard, but the HP is enough to survive, call in some rain, and then get outta dodge. The rest is unequivocal, so the only thing to do is watch out for other lead Aeros or lead Scarfers.

Giga: Nothing to say, looks great. While I'm sure you prefer Surf, Hydro Pump was the best move to choose. And I agree: a Rain Dance team is incomplete without a Kingdra in it.

Hoss: Cute name; only thing I would suggest is to give it a Focus Sash, and be sure to use it against something without priority moves.

Omi: Looks good to me.

Blaine: I would say keep EQ, as it will hit Magnezone and any other Steel-type, as well as any Fire-type that ends up switching against Bronzong (regardless of Rain Dance). Besides, EQ has nice coverage and you never know in which situation you may end up where EQ might be a lifesaver.

Zapdos: No nickname for the big thundering bird? Anyway, the set works with the overall team, but it does feel like it was jammed in there as filler--not that you should stop using it if it has worked for you.

If you're still wanting to change it, the only PKMN that comes to mind that would work as both Wish passer and Rain Dancer would be Gardevoir. The moveset could also include both Screens with Light Clay as the held item, or just one Screen and Psychic for STAB and all-around coverage. A Timid nature should work with maybe 252 EVs in HP, 200 in Speed, and the rest in Sp. Defense--you could very well go for 252 in Speed, though. Chansey and Hypo could also be candidates, but Gardevoir is obviously faster.

Those would be my two cents.

Ptera: Unconventional, but I like. Mamoswine would 2OHKO with Ice Shard, but the HP is enough to survive, call in some rain, and then get outta dodge. The rest is unequivocal, so the only thing to do is watch out for other lead Aeros or lead Scarfers.

Ah yeah I thought so. Is there a slim chance of 3HKO, or is it always 2HKO? Taunt is going to be the bane it would seem, so I just gotta hope I can get the speed tie.

Giga: Nothing to say, looks great. While I'm sure you prefer Surf, Hydro Pump was the best move to choose. And I agree: a Rain Dance team is incomplete without a Kingdra in it.

Yeah hydro pump all the way this time >: ). As shogun pointed out on your Swampert, with only 8 turns to play with I can't be messing around weaker moves ... just gotta plunge in ... Ok bad pun xD

Hoss: Cute name; only thing I would suggest is to give it a Focus Sash, and be sure to use it against something without priority moves.

Well I did toy with the idea of focus sash, however, swords dance isn't ALWAYS needed, so if I think I can hit hard enough w/o it I'll sweep until an opportunity arises.

Omi: Looks good to me.

I do love me my Omastar :P

Blaine: I would say keep EQ, as it will hit Magnezone and any other Steel-type, as well as any Fire-type that ends up switching against Bronzong (regardless of Rain Dance). Besides, EQ has nice coverage and you never know in which situation you may end up where EQ might be a lifesaver.

You do raise a good point there actually, thanks.

Zapdos: No nickname for the big thundering bird? Anyway, the set works with the overall team, but it does feel like it was jammed in there as filler--not that you should stop using it if it has worked for you.

If you're still wanting to change it, the only PKMN that comes to mind that would work as both Wish passer and Rain Dancer would be Gardevoir. The moveset could also include both Screens with Light Clay as the held item, or just one Screen and Psychic for STAB and all-around coverage. A Timid nature should work with maybe 252 EVs in HP, 200 in Speed, and the rest in Sp. Defense--you could very well go for 252 in Speed, though. Chansey and Hypo could also be candidates, but Gardevoir is obviously faster.

Those would be my two cents.

Zapdos doesn't get a name because I don't like it xD... I am childish at times haha. Gardevoir could make a good candidate indeed, especially with trace. A spexed Jolteon locked into Tbolt would probably hurt my whole team if it was timed right, and Gardevoir would quench that threat with trace. Hmmm, Lightscreen-focus blast/ Wish/ Rain Dance/ Psychic-Thunder ... Hmmm. I may just have to try something like that out :P.

Thanks for the rate dude. :D

Ah yeah I thought so. Is there a slim chance of 3HKO, or is it always 2HKO? Taunt is going to be the bane it would seem, so I just gotta hope I can get the speed tie.

Nope, it will always be a 2OHKO, even with an Impish nature and 252 EVs spent on defense, which is a waste, really. That is, assuming no EVs have been given to HP. You're good as it is, no need to worry about it. Besides, think of it this way: Ptera is there to either set Rain OR SR, not both. Setting both is a luxury you can't afford when the opposing PKMN can bring Ptera crashing down for good. In fact, where you to confront a lead Mamoswine, switching to Blaine would seem like the best thing to do, 'cause you know Ice Shard will be the order of the day, Bronzong can come in and "block" the attack and set up Rain. Plus, Bronzong has Grass Knot, which can scare off Mamoswine, which will give you a "free" turn.

Zapdos doesn't get a name because I don't like it xD... I am childish at times haha. Gardevoir could make a good candidate indeed, especially with trace. A spexed Jolteon locked into Tbolt would probably hurt my whole team if it was timed right, and Gardevoir would quench that threat with trace. Hmmm, Lightscreen-focus blast/ Wish/ Rain Dance/ Psychic-Thunder ... Hmmm. I may just have to try something like that out :P.

Exactly. It would be fun to see that happening, I must say. Try it out and report back.

Thanks for the rate dude. :D

All my pleasure. =)

Nope, it will always be a 2OHKO, even with an Impish nature and 252 EVs spent on defense, which is a waste, really. That is, assuming no EVs have been given to HP. You're good as it is, no need to worry about it. Besides, think of it this way: Ptera is there to either set Rain OR SR, not both. Setting both is a luxury you can't afford when the opposing PKMN can bring Ptera crashing down for good. In fact, where you to confront a lead Mamoswine, switching to Blaine would seem like the best thing to do, 'cause you know Ice Shard will be the order of the day, Bronzong can come in and "block" the attack and set up Rain. Plus, Bronzong has Grass Knot, which can scare off Mamoswine, which will give you a "free" turn.

Lmao, I think I'm in love with you for that post :P. I will fully do that, great catch man.

Made some changes. Gardevoir definitely works. I don't win as fast, but I don't die as fast either :P.

I've got some stories that I may post a little later after I've finished analysing them myself ... God I hate putting hard work into a a good team xD.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, here's a suggestion for Qwilfish(I use this on my rain dance team)

Hoss (Qwilfish) (M) @ Leichi Berry Ability: Swift Swim

EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd (No Def, SpD, or HP EVs!)

- Endure

- Waterfall

- Explosion/Desiny Bond

- Flail

It can't do much to Dusknoir, your almost always forced to Explode or D-Bond on bulky Waters and Grass(Mainly Celebi), and prioriy can end your sweep with ease. So make sure you save this for LATE game .

Hey, here's a suggestion for Qwilfish(I use this on my rain dance team)

Hoss (Qwilfish) (M) @ Leichi Berry Ability: Swift Swim

EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd (No Def, SpD, or HP EVs!)

- Endure

- Waterfall

- Explosion/Desiny Bond

- Flail

It can't do much to Dusknoir, your almost always forced to Explode or D-Bond on bulky Waters and Grass(Mainly Celebi), and prioriy can end your sweep with ease. So make sure you save this for LATE game .

That's got its merits in UU where abomasnow, and as you said, dusknoir/ and celebii aren't writhe. But in OU the extra coverage, albeit little, from poison jab really helps. Not to mention I've not got much in the way of hurting Celebi or other bulky waters without Poison Jab.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never seen a team that uses Quilfish before, so I have to give you a point for that.

One problem is, you don't really have an answer to grass type pokemon on this team. The only one of your pokemon that has a move that is super effective against grass is Omnastar, and a Sceptile could easily out-speed it and take it down.

Also, you may want to look into adding Gravity to one of your pokemon. Not only would it make any pokemon susceptible to earthquake, but it also raises the accuracy of your moves.

Without gravity, I see Zapdos as being a huge problem for you.

Other then that, great team.

I've never seen a team that uses Quilfish before, so I have to give you a point for that.

One problem is, you don't really have an answer to grass type pokemon on this team. The only one of your pokemon that has a move that is super effective against grass is Omastar, and a Sceptile could easily out-speed it and take it down.

As far as I'm aware, Omastar outspeeds sceptile in the rain. Secondly, Bronzong can switch in on it and put it to sleep, whilst Qwilfish can pwn it with poison jab :D.

But realistically, Sceptile tends to stay down in UU, for fear of Scarftran and other fast sweepers/walls that can stall it out or just out right kill it. It's a shame but it's true :/.

Also, you may want to look into adding Gravity to one of your pokemon. Not only would it make any pokemon susceptible to earthquake, but it also raises the accuracy of your moves.

Without gravity, I see Zapdos as being a huge problem for you.

Gravity isn't a bad idea at all, the pokemon that it'd be put on would be 'Zong, however the moves it has are moves that it needs really. While Zapdos can indeed be a problem, I can faux pp stall it's Tbolt with Gardevoire, if i can get a Sp. Def drop out of psychic then hydro pump coming off of Kingdra will take it out, and it wouldn't have to worry about the Tbolt coming in as I'd have passed wish.

If all else fails, after being worn down Zapdos will fall to Qwilfish Explosion, be slept by bronzong for a switch in ... or just hurt the team until it falls.